The Sleepy Hollow Environmental Advisory Committee restarted in 2014 and we’ve been working on both behind-the-scenes initiatives and public events and resources. Here are some of the highlights of our first few months back in action:
- Sleepy Hollow Beautification Day: This year, we kicked off our revival by beautifying Horan’s Landing Park in Sleepy Hollow as part of the annual Riverkeeper Sweep. Unfortunately, we got rained out after less than an hour, but we were able to plant flowers, pick up trash, and do some weeding in the short time we had!
- Green Mixer: We joined our neighbors at the Tarrytown Environmental Advisory Council for an open house, where community members interested in environmental issues could mingle and learn more about what’s being done in 10591. Learn more here!
- Eco-Fair and other events: We again joined the Tarrytown Environmental Advisory Council for the Eco-Fair, which was rescheduled due to weather (come on Earth, we’re trying to help you out!). We also participated in a number of other events such as the Sleepy Hollow Street Fair, People’s Climate March in New York City, and the Downtown Zoning Study workshop in Sleepy Hollow.
- Climate Smart Communities and Complete Streets Resolutions: We also presented resolutions such as the Climate Smart Communities and Complete Streets Resolutions to the Board of Trustees, who passed the Climate Smart Communities Resolution and are evaluating the Complete Streets Resolution.
- Resources: We have been developing a number of hyper-local resources to make it easier for residents to live sustainably:
- Want to get involved? Have more ideas for how we can help? Please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other ways to get in touch: If you haven’t done so already, please sign up for our mailing list and like us on Facebook.
A special thanks to everyone who’s supported us over the past year, from community members to Village officials! We’re looking forward to an even more productive and eventful 2015!